Friday 9 October 2015

Artist Copy - Felicita Sala

The children's book that I have chosen to copy is called 'My Father is a Polar Bear' written by Michael Morpurgo and illustrated by Felicita Sala.

Here is the original illustration:



I chose this illustration because it created an atmospheric scene within the children's book. It's interesting shapes and colour combinations work together well to portray a cold Autumnal day in an old town. The warm red, brown and yellow tones contrast against the cold blue, grey and green tones.

I started by drawing out a basic outline. I then added base colours by using water colour paint. I made sure the saturation wasn't strong so that I could draw over the top of the water colour later on.





Here I worked on top of the water colour wash with coloured pencil crayons. I used a scribbly technique to match the original.



No comments:

Post a Comment